The settlement of Bearsted can trace its beginnings to pre-history and it is believed that a settlement of sorts began in 4000BC when farmers moved into the area. Early remains have been found in Hog Hill and Ware Street.
After the Roman Conquest a system of roads was constructed and this is obviously when Bearsted's traffic problems began!!
Although Holy Cross Church can trace its origins back to before 1066AD, Bearsted was not mentioned in the Doomsday Book although this is thought to be an error or failure by the residents to make the necessary Return.
During medieval times the area was controlled and owned by the residents of Leeds Castle.
After several years of quiet existence Bearsted became involved in the rebellion led by Jack Cade in 1450AD. Records show that 18 Bearsted men were pardoned after the rebellion failed and following this small insurrection there was a recorded battle on Bearsted Green during the Civil War in 1648 although details are scant. The area continued to develop for the next 200 years.
The two Inns on the Green - the White Horse Inn and the Walnut Tree Inn (now known as the Oak on the Green) - were the centre of village life as they were not only local Inns but local Justice was dispensed from both premises.
Many famous persons have lived in Bearsted including the cricketer Alfred Mynn who was known as 'The Lion of Kent' and who was one of the first to master 'over-arm' bowling. He lived in Ware Street, is buried in Thurnham Churchyard and is featured on the village sign.
The Physician, Dr Robert Fludd, very distinguished in the medical field as he is believed to be one of the inventors of the thermometer, was also a resident of the village and is buried in Holy Cross Churchyard.
Baroness Orczy, author of The Scarlet Pimpernel, was another famous resident who lived in Snowfield adjacent to Bearsted Green. She often drove though the village in her Carriage and Four and wanted to be treated as the Lady of the Manor expecting local residents to pay their respects as she passed by.
On 4th December 1894 the first Parish Council was formed with the Reverend John Durst elected as Chairman.
The growth of Bearsted remained steady for centuries but with the arrival of the Twentieth Century there was a dramatic increase in the population. Following the conclusion of World War II the village increased further with the development of housing estates such as Trapfield and Madginford and this still continues today.